Abnaki Class Fleet Ocean Tug:
- Laid down, date unknown, as Fleet Tug (AT-149) at Charleston Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Charleston, S.C.
- Redesignated Fleet Ocean Tug, (ATF-149), 15 May 1944
- Launched, 11 July 1944
- Commissioned USS Atakapa (ATF-149) in December 1944
- During World War II USS Atakapa was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater
- Following World War II USS Atakapa was assigned to Occupation service from 13 September 1945 to 15 April 1946
- Decommissioned, 8 November 1946, at Orange, TX.
- Laid up in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Texas Group, Orange
- Recommissioned, 9 August 1951
- Decommissioned, circa 1970s and placed in service with MSC as USNS Atakapa (T-ATF-149)
- Placed out of service, circa 1980s
- Transferred to the Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility, Portsmouth, VA.
- Struck from the Naval Register, 21 February 1992
- Custody transferred to the Maritime Commission for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River, Lee Hall, VA.
- Final Disposition, sunk as a target, 25 August 2000
Displacement 1,190 t.(lt)
Beam 38' 5"
Draft 15' 4"
Speed 16.5 kts.
Armamentone single 3"/50 dual purpose gun mounttwo twin 40mm AA gun mountstwo single 20mm AA gun mounts
Propulsion diesel-electric, four General Motors 12-278A diesel main engines driving four General Electric generators and three General Motors 3-268A auxiliary services engines, single screw, 3,600shp