Cherokee Class Fleet Ocean Tug:
- Laid down as Chawasha (AT-151) at Charleston Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Charleston, S.C.
- Redesignated Fleet Ocean Tug (ATF-151), 15 May 1944
- Launched, 15 September 1944
- Commissioned USS Chawasha (ATF-151), 6 February 1945, LT. H. K. Smith in command
- During World War II USS Chawasha was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater and participated in the following campaign:
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Campaign and Dates 3rd Fleet operations against Japan, 12 July to 15 August 1945
- Following World War II USS Chawasha was assigned to Occupation service in the Far East for the following periods:
Navy Occupation Service Medal 2 to 9 September 1945 23 October1945 to 19 February 1946
- Decommissioned, 30 September 1946
- Laid up in the Reserve Fleet
- Struck from the Naval Register, date unknown
- Final Disposition, fate unknown
- USS Chawasha earned one battle star for World War II service.
Displacement 1,240 t.(lt) 1,675 t.(fl)
Draft 15' 4"
Speed 16.5 kts.
ComplementOfficers 5Enlisted 80
Largest Boom Capacity 10 t.
Armamentone single 3"/50 cal dual purpose gun mounttwo single 40mm AA gun mountstwo single 20mm AA gun mountstwo depth charge tracks
Fuel CapacityDiesel Oil 2,275 Bbls
Propulsionfour GM 12-278A 750hp Diesel-electric enginessingle Fairbanks Morse Main Reduction GearsShip's Service Generatorstwo Diesel-drive 100Kw 120V/240V D.C.one Diesel-drive 200Kw 120V/240V D.C.single propeller 3,000shp